Octochess is a free open source chess engine distributed under the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License (GPL). Octochess has been created by Tim Kosse.
- CECP protocol, works well with XBoard/WinBoard, including analysis mode.
- UCI protocol
- Partially Multi-threaded calculation
- Self-generated opening book
- Tweakable evaluation
- Bitboard representation with magic multiplication
- Principal Variation Search
- Aspiration Windows
- Lockless transposition hash table
- Null-move pruning
- Killer move heuristic
- Internal iterative deepening
- Static Exchange Evaluation
- Late Move Reductions
- Futility pruning
- 64bit x86 CPU, ideally with POPCNT instruction such as Intel Core i7
- GCC 4.7 or higher to compile under Linux
- Visual Studio 2012 or higher to compile under Windows
- By default a third of your physical RAM
You can check out the source of Octochess from this subversion repository:
I've read countless articles, papers, websites and forum posts and would like to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge about chess engine programming. In particular however I would like to thank the following people:
- Colin Frayn for his website on Computer Chess Programming Theory as starting point for my research and implementation.
- Robert Hyatt for his paper on lockless transposition tables and his insight posted on the TalkChess.com forums.
- The contributers to the Chess Programming Wiki.
- Fritz Reul for his New Architectures in Computer Chess thesis.
- Mikael Kilpeläinen for playing many man vs. machine matches against "The Monster".
Please send an email to email@example.com
FileZilla Project Another open source project lead by Tim Kosse.
XBoard and WinBoard homepage A free and open source user interface for chess engines.
Chess Programming WIKI Invaluable resource for all wanting to create a chess engine.
TalkChess.com Computer Chess Discussion Forum.